It is common knowledge that emergency room care is the most expensive health care available. It is not as widely known that it is also the least efficient. It’s also an area where mistakes happen more often. In fact, most of the potentially dangerous mistakes that occur in the emergency room are a result of human error – roughly 60 percent of them in fact. A quarter of mistakes are blamed on organizational issues – how an emergency room is structured – while 11 percent of ER mistakes are technical errors.
Given the frantic pace of most ERs, it is understandable that medical errors are common since diagnostic decisions normally have to be made so quickly and under so much pressure. But that’s not all. Emergency rooms are often staffed with part-time medical professionals who are not necessarily proficient or experienced in the delivery of ER care. All of this is exacerbated by the fact that some of the sickest patients that ever set foot inside a hospital enter through the doors of the Emergency Room.
If a trip to the emergency room has left you worse off than you were when you entered, talk to an Arizona medical malpractice lawyer at Burg Simpson immediately by calling 602-777-7000 or complete our Free Case Evaluation form NOW.
The most frequent medical errors that take place in the ER include:
- Diagnostic errors – Roughly 60 percent of ER errors are diagnostic mistakes.
- Ignoring or neglecting to collect basic medical history information.
- Inappropriate testing – This can include ordering the wrong test or not ordering a test at all.
- Test findings – Even if the proper test is ordered and administered, it can still be misinterpreted or miscommunicated to other medical personnel.
- Medication errors – This can include the wrong medicine, the wrong dosage, or even a complete lack of medication.
- Botched follow-up – This can mean a lack of proper follow-up instructions or care to a patient.
- Delayed treatment.
If you or a family member has suffered a serious injury during a visit to the emergency room, contact one of the medical malpractice lawyers at Burg Simpsons Arizona by calling 602-777-7000.
Our Malpractice Attorneys in Arizona Can Help
Few things are as frightening – or as frustrating – as a visit to the emergency room. Wait times can drag on, and the medical personnel are often overworked and understaffed. If your panicked visit to an emergency room ended with a serious injury, it is critical that you speak with an experienced medical injury lawyer in our Phoenix location. Call Burg Simpson today for a free, no-obligation analysis of your case at 602-777-7000 or complete our Free Case Evaluation Form here so we can get you the help you need.