When a family member or loved one dies, the pain and loss are unimaginable and almost impossible to fully absorb. When you lose a loved one through someone else’s negligence or misconduct, that sense of loss can be even more painful.
At Burg Simpson, our wrongful death lawyers have successfully litigated many lawsuits over the past four decades. We understand the agony you are going through. While we cannot bring your loved one back, we will do everything in our power to help you get the full compensation you deserve.
If you have lost a loved one in an accident caused by someone’s negligence, Burg Simpson’s experienced wrongful death lawyers are here to help. Call us at (866) 506-3183 or complete our FREE case evaluation form now.
Our wrongful death attorneys have dealt with claims related to auto accidents, medical malpractice, and even defective products. A wrongful death claim may be brought if you have lost a loved one as a result of someone else’s negligence or reckless conduct, including:
- Medical malpractice: Medical errors are now the third leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Motor vehicle accident: More than 1 million drivers – and passengers – die on America’s roadways every year.
- Dangerous premises: This can include several different incidents, but ultimately hold a property owner and/or manager liable for any death on the property.
- Dog bites: While dog bite deaths are rate, they are particularly tragic because they are easily preventable and the victims are almost always young children.
- Nursing home abuse: Nursing home residents, sadly, often suffer in silence. Studies reveal that nearly 70 percent of abuse cases go unreported in the U.S.
- Work-related injuries: Nearly 5,000 workers die on the job every year.
- Defective products: Defective and poorly labeled products kill more than 22,000 people annually.
Recovered Damages in Wrongful Death Cases
Depending on the circumstances of your particular case, damages could be recovered for funeral expenses, lost wages, future income potential, pain and suffering on behalf of the decedent and the decedent’s loved ones, medical bills, and other causes. For help calculating and predicting expenses and damages in a wrongful death case, it is important to consult with a wrongful death lawyer.
Wrongful death cases may compensate family members for:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of benefits
- Care of a child
- Pain and suffering of the survivors
- Punitive damages
What If the Responsible Party Has No Insurance?
In some cases, there may be other avenues to pursue compensation for your loss. These may include the person’s employer, your own insurance company, or a third party. In cases like this, it is essential that you retain an experienced personal injury attorney who knows where to find the resources to help your family get back on their feet.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
In general, the decedent’s spouse, children, and/or parents can pursue damages under a wrongful death claim. The guidelines can be confusing so it is in your best interest to consult with a reputable lawyer to determine who has a legal right to damages in your case.
Depending on the state, statutes of limitation may apply for filing a wrongful death claim, so don’t wait to get started.
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney Today
If you have lost a loved one because of someone else’s negligence, contact a Burg Simpson personal injury attorney. Reach out to us as soon as possible at (720) 500-5995 or fill out a FREE case evaluation form now.