Dean Batchelder is an experienced attorney who focuses his practice on commercial litigation and, since early 2023, he has been expanding his appellate practice and leading Burg Simpson’s appellate division. Mr. Batchelder is admitted to practice before the Colorado and Wyoming Supreme Courts, as well as several Federal Courts, and has argued cases before the Colorado Court of Appeals and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. Prior to joining Burg Simpson, Mr. Batchelder worked with a number of well-respected Denver law firms. Mr. Batchelder is a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School and early in his career, he served as Law Clerk for the Hon. A. Mead of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Notable Appellate Successes
- Doe v. Wellbridge Club Mgmt. LLC, 2022 COA 137, 525 P.3d 682 (Colo. App. 2022) ( cert. denied Aug. 21, 2023): Reversing adverse summary judgment order premised on gym’s liability waiver, rejecting the district court’s holding that it barred claims for sexual assault.
- David Sudduth, et al. v. Jason Curtis (Colo. App. 2023) (unpublished opinion): Affirming client’s damages award following jury and bench trials in a quiet title action with legal and equitable claims.
- In the Matter of Trust Created by International Typographical Union of North America, 2021CA0974 (Colo. App. 2023) (unpublished opinion): Affirming order dismissing claims, with prejudice, against small union for control over the significant funds it used to start a scholarship foundation.
- Brown v. Banner Health, 2023CA0020 (Colo. App. 2023) (unpublished opinion): Affirming district court’s order certifying a class of physicians in their claim for unpaid compensation.
- James Nelson, et al. v. US, 40 F.4th 1105 (10th Cir. 2022): Affirming award of nearly $2 million in attorney’s fees to a terribly injured client under the Equal Access to Justice Act in a FTCA action.
U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
J.D., 2005, University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, cum laude
M.A., 1999, University of Chicago
- Colorado Bar Association, Civil Appeals Clinic Advisory Committee – Chair, Clinic Volunteer
- Colorado Bar Association, Amicus Committee – Committee Member
- Colorado Bar Association – Member
- Colorado Trial Lawyer’s Association, Amicus Committee – Committee Member
- Colorado Trial Lawyer’s Association – Member
- Wyoming Trial Lawyer’s Association – Member