KEEPING YOUR CHILD SAFE
Keep your child passenger safe by choosing the right car seat. Car seats and boosters provide protection for infants and children in a crash, and yet according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), automobile crashes are a leading cause of death for children from ages 1 to 13. To keep your child safe, it is important to choose and install the right car seat. Select a car seat based on your child’s age and size then choose a seat that fits in your vehicle.
- Always refer to your specific car seat manufacturer’s instructions and check the specific height and weight limits.
- Read the vehicle owner’s manual on how to install the car seat using the seat belt or lower anchors and a tether, if available.
- To maximize safety, keep your child in the car seat for as long as possible, as long as the child fits within the manufacturer’s height and weight requirements.
- Have your child sit in the back seat at least through age 12.
Finding the right car seat for your child
- Learn about the four car seat types
- Follow NHTSA’s car seat recommendations based on your child’s age and size
- Find and compare car seats and ease-of-use-ratings using NHTSA’s Car Seat Finder
Installing your child’s car seat correctly
- Understand the tips used for installation
- Follow our detailed car seat installation instructions and videos
- Get your car seat inspected at a station nearest you
Keeping your child safe in a car seat
- Register your car seat and sign up for recall notices to receive safety updates
Colorado Child Safety Guidelines
The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) has also published recommendations regarding child passenger safety.
If Your Child Has Been Injured in a Car Crash
If your child has been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident, get in touch with a personal injury attorney as quickly as possible. Call the Denver office of Burg Simpson Colorado at 303-792-5595 or fill out our Free Case Evaluation Form so we can help.