CAUSES OF OIL & GAS INJURIES
More often than not, oil and gas companies, operators, and contractors are not diligent enough in preventing accidents, which can make an already dangerous situation deadly. Most injuries occur because of carelessness, faulty equipment, inadequate safety equipment or training, or poor equipment maintenance.
If you have been hurt while driving to or from a worksite, speak to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible by calling 844-212-0122.
According to oilpro.com, the professional social network for oil and gas workers, the five most common oil and gas injuries are:
- Vehicle collisions: Oddly enough, the road is far more deadly than any rig. Fatal motor vehicle accidents are on the rise. Most workers have long drives after even longer shifts. The boom in fracking also has more trucks transporting water to worksites. Increased levels of traffic and employee exhaustion can be a deadly combination.
- Machine hazards: Several careers involve the frequent operation of heavy machinery, but few rival the risks involved with oil and gas workers, due in no small part to the fact that so many of these machines operate in unguarded areas. There is also the constant levels of noise, vibration, and falling objects.
- Chemical exposure: Drilling for oil and gas – not to mention processing it – necessitates the use of several types of toxic chemicals and fumes. Prolonged exposure to any of them can result in headaches, nausea, dizziness, and chemical burns.
- Fall hazards: A great deal of oil and gas extraction involves working on elevated platforms. Fall protection systems are critical. But faulty harnesses, chemical spills, loose tools, and equipment can all lead to a tragic fall.
- Fires and explosions: Obviously, these highly combustible materials always involve a higher-than-average risk of fires and explosions.
Other kinds of accidents that can cause a serious oil and gas injury include:
- Defective products
- Pipeline maintenance and failure
- Casing failure
- Oil or gas rig and equipment maintenance failures
- Transportation loading and unloading
- Oil or gas rig or equipment failure or collapse
- Improper equipment use by others
- Improper or negligent hiring, training, or supervision
THIRD-PARTY FAULT IN OIL & GAS INJURY CASES
There are some cases where you could be entitled to recover additional damages against third parties who might have contributed to your injury through their negligence or recklessness. If you or someone you love has been seriously injured while working on an oil and gas rig, in a refinery, on a pipeline, or by the operation or failure of other equipment or motor vehicles, you could be entitled to compensation for:
- Economic losses you might have suffered. These are objectively quantifiable monetary damage that can include past and future medical bills, rehabilitation expense, lost income, any lost earning potential, and any out-of-pocket costs you might have incurred.
- Non-economic losses, which are more subjective and much harder to quantify. These can include claims for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, mental and emotional distress, and inconvenience.
- Permanent impairment and disfigurement.
- Loss of consortium by an affected spouse.
Families of oil and gas workers killed by the negligence, fault, or recklessness of the company (or someone else) may be entitle to recover wrongful death damages. These can also include claims for economic damages (e.g., wages and other income the deceased would have earned, emergency and hospital care, funeral and burial expenses) and non-economic damages (loss of comfort, care, affection, love, companionship suffered by the survivors of the deceased).
If you or a loved one has been injured while working as an oil and gas worker, do not try to handle your case by yourself. Call an experienced oil and gas injury lawyer at Burg Simpson today at 866-506-3183 and receive a free, no-obligation consultation.
CONTACT AN OIL & GAS INJURY ATTORNEY AT BURG SIMPSON TODAY
At Burg Simpson, each experienced personal injury attorney knows how to handle your oil and gas accident claim. We are committed to helping injured oil and gas workers seek compensation after an accident. We have assisted thousands of victims on the road to rebuilding their lives. We also have the experience and resources to help survivors of wrongful death victims navigate the many legal issues that come with these kinds of accidents, which can include accident and medical investigation, statutory employer identification issues, expert identification, insurance claims, settlement negotiations, and litigating in court against persons and companies who refuse to take responsibility. Time is of the essence in these personal injury cases. Do not wait to reach out to one of our veteran oil and gas injury lawyers to discuss the specifics of your case. Fill out our Free Evaluation Form here or call Burg Simpson right now at 844-212-0122.