Colin Simpson’s practice focuses on personal injury and general civil litigation; business formation and law; real estate; contracts; farm and ranch; land use; government relations; and domestic relations.
Mr. Simpson has been engaged in the practice of law since 1987. He practices with the law firm his grandfather, Milward L. Simpson, established—Simpson, Kepler & Edwards, LLC—the Cody, Wyoming, division of Burg Simpson Eldredge Hersh & Jardine, P.C.
Mr. Simpson has been selected by members of the national legal community as one of the Best Lawyers in America 2006-2019. Best Lawyers publishes a book each year listing those individuals who are recognized as professionals who continue their education in an effort to stay current in their chosen profession and continue to distinguish themselves among their peers.
Mr. Simpson serves on the Boards of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West and Yellowstone Behavioral Health in Cody, Wyoming; First Bank of Wyoming, a division of Glacier Bank, in Powell, Wyoming; and the Riley Arena and Community Events Center. Mr. Simpson previously served on the boards of the Cody Country Chamber of Commerce (Pres. 1993) and the Park County Youth Hockey Association.
Mr. Simpson served in the Wyoming House of Representatives from 1999 through 2012; he served as Speaker of the House in 2009 and 2010. His other legislative accomplishments include: Majority Floor Leader (2007-2009), Speaker Pro-Tem (2005-2007), Management Council (2005-2009), Vice Chair of the Appropriations Committee (2005-2007), Select Committee on Capital Finance and Investment (2007-2009), Select Committee on School Capital Construction (2001-2003), Management Audit Committee (1999 to 2000), Select Committee on De-Earmarking of State Funds (2000-2001), Select Committee on Mental Health and Substance Abuse (2005-2007) and Co-Chairman (2005-2006), House Judiciary Committee (1999-2005) and as Chairman (2003-2005) and Co-Chairman of the Select Committee on Split Estates (2004).
Mr. Simpson was one of two Wyoming Representatives chosen to participate in the Council of State Governments-WEST (CSG-WEST), the first leadership-training institute for state legislators to build excellence and effectiveness in state legislators.
Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM Rating
Selected to Best Lawyers® in America, 2006-2020
Martindale-HubbellSM Client Champion Silver, 2019
Selected to Mountain States Super Lawyers®, 2012 and 2014-2020
U.S. District Court, District of Wyoming
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., 1985, University of Wyoming College of Law
B.S., 1982, Colorado College
American Bar Association
Wyoming Bar Association
Fifth Judicial District Bar Association
Client Security Fund Committee of the Wyoming State Bar (1995-1996)
Wyoming Bar Foundation (1999-2002)
Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association, President (2018-2019)
Park County Bar Association, President (1997-1998)
- Speaker of the Wyoming House of Representatives, (2009-2010)
- Wyoming State Legislature, 2008; Representative, House District 24 (1999-2010)
- Management Council (2005-2009)
- Majority Floor Leader (2007-2009)
- Speaker Pro-Tem (2005-2007)
- Select Committee on Capital Finance and Investment (2007-2009)
- Appropriations Committee (Member and Vice Chairman, 2005-2007)
- Select Committee on Mental Health and Substance Abuse (2005-2007) (Co-Chairman, 2005-2006)
- Judiciary Committee (1999-2005) (Chairman, 2003-2005)
- Select Committee on Split Estates, Co-Chairman (2004)
- Select Committee on School Capital Construction (2001-2003)
- Select Committee on De-earmarking of State Funds (2000-2001)
- Management Audit Committee (1999-2000)
- Board of Trustees, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming
- Board, First National Bank & Trust, Powell, Wyoming