Car Accident Attorneys Serving Clients in Phoenix & All of Arizona
Being involved in a car accident is a serious event. Many victims suffer injuries that completely and permanently alter the course of their lives. If you are facing this situation, a Phoenix car accident lawyer can help.
Attorneys at Burg Simpson have extensive experience representing clients in car accident claims throughout Arizona. Our goal is to obtain maximum compensation on your behalf while providing you with the compassionate support you need as you recover from the crash.
Call Burg Simpson at 602-777-7000 for a FREE and confidential case evaluation with a Phoenix car accident lawyer. Our attorneys can help you protect your rights and pursue the full compensation you deserve.
What Causes Car Accidents in Phoenix?
A car accident can take many different forms. Whether you have been rear-ended, T-boned in an intersection, or struck head-on by a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction, it is important to identify all of the issues that led to the crash and determine who is responsible.
Most car accidents are caused by a careless driver. Common behaviors that result in accidents include:
- Failure to travel at a “reasonable and prudent speed” (as defined by Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) § 28-701)
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Disobeying stop lights and other traffic control devices (see A.R.S. § 28-644)
- Errors in changing lanes and passing other vehicles
- Following another vehicle too closely (as defined by A.R.S. § 28-730)
- Improper turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Reckless and aggressive driving
Our car accident lawyers will review the facts and collect evidence on your behalf. Usually, one or more of the drivers involved in a collision are found to be at fault; however, there are circumstances where additional defendants may be included in your claim.
For example, if your car is struck by an 18-wheeler or other commercial vehicle, you may have a claim against the driver’s employer. You may have a product liability claim if a defective part or faulty vehicle design led to the accident. Finally, government entities may be held responsible for accidents caused by unsafe and defective roads.
Car Accident Statistics in Arizona
Every year the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) releases a new edition of the Arizona Motor Vehicle Crash Facts report. ADOT’s 2021 Crash Facts reveal the following:
- A total of 121,345 crashes occurred in Arizona in 2021
- 1,063 of these crashes (approximately 0.8%) resulted in fatalities
- 29% of accidents (35,203) resulted in injuries
- 1,180 people died in motor vehicle accidents in Arizona in 2021
- The number of crashes, the number of injuries, and the number of fatalities all increased significantly from 2020 to 2021:
- Accidents: 22.45%+
- Injuries: 24.30%+
- Fatalities: 11.95%+
Although a number of different factors can lead to car accidents, drunk driving remains a major cause of car accidents. The 2021 Crash Facts reveal that accidents involving alcohol accounted for 4.63% of all crashes in Arizona and a staggering 20.23% of accidents resulting in fatalities.
What to Do After a Car Accident
First things first: Call 911. Drivers in Arizona are required to stay at the scene of an accident, and the police may have questions for you in preparing the accident report (required in cases of injury, fatality, and/or more than $2,000 in damage to private property; see A.R.S. § 28-667).
Getting medical care for your injuries should be your top priority. Paramedics can determine whether you need to be taken to the emergency room.
If you are able to remain on the scene, follow these steps to get started on your car accident case:
- Document the accident. Take written notes, pictures, and/or video of the scene. Important details include the positioning of the vehicles and the location of damage, conditions at the scene, the presence of traffic lights and signs, and debris or road damage from the accident.
- Exchange information. You will need the following for your car accident claim:
- The name of any drivers involved in the crash
- Each driver’s contact information
- Insurance information, including the carrier and policy number
- The year, make, and model of each vehicle
- License plate numbers
- Speak to witnesses. If any bystanders witnessed the accident, ask them to describe what they saw and get their contact information.
You will need to notify your insurer of the accident promptly (generally within 30 days). It is also in your best interest to speak to a car accident lawyer about your rights and legal options.
The at-fault driver’s insurance company may contact you soon after the accident with an offer to settle your case. As a rule, you should not accept this preliminary offer. You may be entitled to significantly more compensation than the insurance company is willing to pay upfront. A car accident attorney can handle all communications with the insurance company and negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf.
Contact Burg Simpson for a FREE case evaluation.
Common Injuries in Car Accidents
Burg Simpson represents clients who have suffered a wide range of injuries in car accidents. The principal focus of our firm is representing individuals who sustain catastrophic injuries through no fault of their own.
Our car accident lawyers can pursue compensation on your behalf for injuries such as:
- Head, face, and brain injuries
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Injuries to the back
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue and nerve damage
- Internal injuries
- Burn injuries
- Amputation injuries and loss of limbs
Injuries suffered in a car accident require immediate medical intervention. Some injuries are noticeable right away while others may not become apparent until several hours or even several days have elapsed after the accident. You do not want to put your health in jeopardy. Seek medical attention promptly, then consult an attorney as soon as possible.
What Damages Are Available After a Car Accident?
You may be entitled to substantial compensation if you were seriously injured in a car accident through no fault of your own. A Phoenix car accident lawyer can accurately calculate the damages in your case and take action against the insurance companies on your behalf.
Burg Simpson can seek fair compensation for losses such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- The cost of prescription medications, assistive devices, medical-related travel, etc.
- Loss of earning capacity
- Vehicle repair bills
- The cost of replacing your car (if necessary)
- Emotional distress
If your loved one died in a car accident, our attorneys can pursue compensation through a wrongful death claim. You and your family may be entitled to recovery of damages such as funeral and burial expenses, the loss of your loved one’s income, the cost of medical care prior to death, loss of household services and support, and more.
When Should I Talk to an Attorney After a Car Accident?
As soon as possible! There are a number of reasons to speak with a car accident lawyer sooner rather than later, including:
- Evidence may be removed from the scene
- Witnesses’ memories fade
- The insurance company is already building its case; the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to recover fair compensation
Furthermore, you have a limited time to take legal action. The statute of limitations is the law governing how much time you have to make a claim for damages.
Arizona’s Statute of Limitations
In Arizona, you have only 2 years to pursue compensation if you are injured in a car accident. The same 2-year limitation period also applies to cases involving the wrongful death of a loved one in a motor vehicle crash.
Generally, the limitation period for an injury claim begins on the date the injury occurs. In cases involving wrongful death, the statute of limitations starts on the date the victim dies (see Arizona Revised Statutes § 12-542).
Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
Minor car accidents may be handled without the assistance of a lawyer; however, until you contact an attorney, it is difficult to know whether the accident qualifies as “minor.”
If you are seriously hurt or simply don’t feel confident handling the case on your own, hiring a car accident lawyer has a number of benefits:
- Collecting evidence. Auto accident attorneys can investigate the crash more thoroughly than victims typically can on their own. Experienced lawyers know what evidence is needed to support your claim.
- Determining liability. In addition to building a case against the driver of the other vehicle, a car accident lawyer can determine if anyone else contributed to the crash. Complex liability claims require knowledgeable legal representation.
- Understanding your injuries. Auto accident injuries can have widespread ramifications. In addition to the cost of medical treatment, you might be facing limitations in your ability to work, difficulties handling day-to-day tasks, psychological issues, and more. A car accident attorney can evaluate your medical records and speak with medical professionals involved in your care to understand the overall impact of the accident on your life.
- Calculating damages. Evaluating all of the costs associated with a car accident is one of the most challenging aspects of making a car accident claim. An experienced lawyer will review all bills, receipts, lost wages, and other documentation to assess your economic damages, as well as consult experts to accurately quantify your physical pain, mental anguish, and more.
- Dealing with the insurance companies. One or more insurance carriers may be involved in your car accident claim. A car accident lawyer can handle settlement negotiations and file a lawsuit if needed. Ultimately, it may be necessary to take your case to trial. If this situation comes to pass, it is essential to have an experienced trial attorney represent you in court.
Generally, it is worth seeking legal advice after being involved in a car accident. Your initial consultation with Burg Simpson is free, and you don’t pay us anything until we settle your case or win at trial.
Why Choose Burg Simpson
Contact a Phoenix Car Accident Lawyer Today
It is difficult to know where to turn after a car accident. When you hire Burg Simpson, you can expect:
- Award-winning legal service. Our attorneys have been repeatedly recognized as preeminent litigators and trial lawyers by multiple organizations, year after year.
- Unwavering commitment to winning. Burg Simpson has recovered more than $2 billion in verdicts and settlements. We shrewdly advocate for our clients in settlement talks and at trial.
- Hands-on attention. Although we are a large law firm with the resources to handle complex legal matters, each client is more than just a file. You are a person with individual needs and goals, and our team will support you in all aspects of your claim.
Don’t let the stress of a crash overwhelm you. The attorneys at Burg Simpson have experience with a wide range of car accident claims. We can help if you were seriously hurt or a member of your family was injured or killed.
For a FREE and confidential case evaluation, call Burg Simpson at 602-777-7000 today. Our car accident lawyers serve clients in Phoenix and throughout Arizona.