Birth Injury Attorneys Serving All of Arizona
While childbirth is safer than ever, tragically, birth injuries still occur. In fact, research suggests that out of every 1,000 births in this country, six to eight of them result in an injured child – which translates into about 28,000 birth injuries annually.
Trauma during the birthing process is a common cause of birth injuries. All too often, the parents whose baby has suffered an injury before or during delivery struggle with getting a straight story about what led to the cause of the injury. Additionally, the medical professionals involved are frequently more concerned with protecting themselves than telling the truth about the circumstance that led to what is often an easily avoided injury.
If your child has been critically injured during birth, speak with a Phoenix malpractice lawyer at Burg Simpson’s Arizona office by calling 602-777-7000 or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form HERE.
WHAT ARE SOME BIRTH INJURY CAUSES?
There are a few factors that can contribute to childbirth injuries, such as:
- High birth weight
- Early birth
- Cephalopelvic disproportion
If your baby has been injured during delivery, contact one of Burg Simpsons Arizona’s medical negligence attorneys by calling 602-777-7000.
SOME COMMON BIRTH INJURIES
Some of the more common birth injuries include:
- Caput succedaneum. This is a notable swelling of the infant’s scalp that develops in response to head traveling through the birth canal. These injuries can include bruising.
- Cephalohematoma. This is bleeding wound beneath a cranial bone. It does not typically emerge until hours after birth and appears as a bump on the head. Occasionally, this can lead to jaundice.
- Bruising. Signs of bruising on the face or on the head can often be just a result of passing through the birth canal. But forceps can also cause bruising during birth.
- Subconjunctival hemorrhage. Sometimes, small blood vessels in the infant’s eyes can break during birth creating red bands in the white part of the eye.
- Facial paralysis. Childbirth can put a lot of pressure on a baby’s face, which can injure facial nerves.
- Brachial palsy. Brachial palsy is an injury that occurs when the brachial plexus is injured. This typically happens when the doctor struggles while delivering the baby’s shoulder. If nerves are torn, the damage could be permanent.
- Fractures. Fracture of the clavicle or collarbone are the most common childbirth fractures during labor and delivery. This can happen when delivering the baby’s shoulder or during a breech presentation.
If your newborn has been injured during prolonged labor and delivery, talk to a Phoenix malpractice lawyer at Burg Simpson Arizona by calling 602-777-7000.
OUR MEDICAL MALPRACTICE LAWYERS CAN HELP
If stressful labor has left your child injured, call Burg Simpson in Phoenix for a no-cost, no-obligation evaluation of your case. Our medical negligence lawyers have decades of experience. We can help your family secure the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 602-777-7000 or fill out our Free Case Evaluation Form before it’s too late.