FDA Warns Against Certain Brands of Hand Sanitizers Due to Risk of Toxicity
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) tested several hand sanitizers manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV and found that they contained methanol (a.k.a. wood alcohol). Methanol can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested and, according to the FDA “is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used due to its toxic effects.” Accordingly, the FDA issued a warning advising consumers not to use hand sanitizers manufactured by Eskbiochem. The following are the hand sanitizers the FDA identified:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
The FDA did reach out to Eskbiochem and asked that it voluntarily recall its hand sanitizers; however, Eskbiochem has not taken any action.
The FDA urges consumers who have been exposed to these hand sanitizers to seek immediate treatment. Immediate treatment is critical to attempts to reverse the toxic effects of methanol poisoning. Methanol poisoning can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system, or death.
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured due to methanol poisoning, the Cincinnati product liability attorneys at Burg Simpson can help. Burg Simpson has successfully represented thousands of individuals who suffered injuries due to defective products. Burg Simpson’s product defect lawyers hold companies responsible for their defective products, and will fight to secure just compensation for those injured by them. Call Burg Simpson’s Cincinnati defective product attorneys today at 513-852-5600 or fill out our free case evaluation form now to discuss your case with us.