The Burg Simpson Scholarship Essays Must Be Submitted by February 1st
THE BURG SIMPSON SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINE IS RAPIDLY APPROACHING!
The 1,500-word Burg Simpson Scholarship Essays Must Be Submitted by February 1st
For the past several years, Burg Simpson has awarded college scholarships to the graduating high school seniors who won our essay competition regarding the importance of the civil jury system and how it is being threatened. The annual Burg Simpson Scholarship Competition is now available to high school seniors.
This year, we are awarding a total of 10 scholarships:
- 9 scholarships for $1,000, and
- 1 scholarship for $2,500.
This competition is an outstanding opportunity for high school seniors to obtain additional funds for college, and to learn about the importance of the U.S. civil jury system.
Information about the Scholarship Competition and the submission of the essays is also available on our website at:
At Burg Simpson, we recognize the importance of access to a good education. In 2012, we launched the Burg Simpson Scholarship Competition. Each year we encourage Colorado high school seniors from across the state to write a 1,500-word essay about the importance of the civil jury system as the guardian of American rights and liberties. Burg Simpson has partnered with the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) for the past 8 years, and during this time we have awarded $92,000 in scholarships to college-bound students.
THE JURY SYSTEM AS THE PROTECTOR OF RIGHTS
Join the competition now and write an original essay of 1,500 words or less that describes:
- How the civil jury system in the United States is being threatened;
- How the civil jury system protects your rights as a citizen; and
- The importance of preserving the civil jury system for future generations.
DID YOU KNOW?
Civil and criminal law are two separate legal systems with different rules, laws, and standards. Essay submissions about the criminal justice system will not be considered. Not sure what the difference is between the civil justice system and the criminal justice system? Start Here.
One scholarship of $2,500 and nine scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded to graduating seniors to attend the college of their choice. All 10 winners, their families, and a teacher of their choice will be invited to a dinner held in their honor. Winners will also appear at center court during half-time of the Colorado State Boys Basketball Championship game at the Denver Coliseum Denver, Colorado.
Any graduating high school senior enrolled in a Colorado accredited school may enter the Burg Simpson scholarship competition
- Application Due: February 1, 2020
- Winners Notified: February 17, 2020
- Basketball Game: March 14, 2020
- Scholarship Dinner: April 2020 (Date TBA)
Submit by mail or email
- Via mail to:
- Burg Simpson Essay Competition
- 40 Inverness Drive East
- Englewood, Colorado 80112
- If mailed, students must complete and submit an application form with their essay, available here.
- Essays submitted by mail must be postmarked or received no later than February 1, 2020. Any submission postmarked after February 1, 2020, will not be accepted.
- Online at www.burgsimpson.com/scholarship
- Electronic submissions using the entry form must be submitted by 11:59 PM Mountain Time on February 1, 2020.
- Via mail to:
- Winning selections will be notified on or around February 17, 2020.
- All essays submitted become the property of Burg Simpson.
- The decisions of the Burg Simpson selection board are final.
- By entering any subsequent prize, winners agree to allow Burg Simpson the right to publish the entrant’s name, photograph images, all personal and other information (including general locations) for the purpose of Burg Simpson and the competition’s publicity, promotion, and news (including use in broadcast media, printed publications, editorial and PR activities, and online).
- Content (70%)
- Essays should address the topic by showing a demonstrated understanding of the threats to the jury system, and the importance of preserving the jury system for future generations.
- The writer must use critical analysis to address the topic.
- The essay should be thoughtful and original.
- The essay must be well-researched. At least four (4) sources properly cited with in-text citations and bibliography.
- Convincing arguments must supported with specific examples.
- Content (70%)
- Presentation (30%)
- Communicates ideas clearly.
- Correct syntax, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Written in a compelling and original manner.
- Bibliography of four or more varied sources. Non-internet sources are highly recommended.
- Thoughtfully selected, reliable sources.
- The Burg Simpson essay competition is not open to employees of the firm or their family members.
- The decision of the judges is FINAL and is not subject to review.
- The prize is exclusively for the winner and is neither transferable nor exchangeable.
- The date of the CHSAA tournament is subject to change.
- Please contact our Director of Marketing, Heidi Culbertson at (303) 792-5595, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org