Firm-Wide blog

Can I File Multiple Lawsuits?

By Burg Simpson
February 10, 2015
2 min read

One of our earlier blogs talked about suing your employer or boss for negligence when you’ve been hurt at work. In that case, which you can read here, we talked about how you can’t sue your employer because workers’ comp is an “exclusive solution”. However, if your injury at work is caused by someone who is unaffiliated with your company, you can file a separate personal injury or negligence case.

The most common way I see this happen is with truck drivers, delivery drivers, field sales staff, and any other jobs which require a lot of driving, site visits, and transportation. If a driver hurts their back lifting a package out of a truck, that can only be a comp case because it only involves that one person. However, if you’re in an auto accident caused by another driver who does not work for the same company, then you can file a worker’s comp claim and a personal injury claim against the person who hit you. Our office can be really helpful for cases that involve the need to file multiple lawsuits, because when your office has tort lawyers, comp lawyers, personal injury lawyers, and malpractice lawyers, you can be sure that all aspects of your case will be investigated fully and handled with the proper care and scrutiny it takes to run multiple cases simultaneously.

A third party lawsuit can sometimes help your worker’s comp case or vice versa. Information discovered in your other case may also help your medical case be proven more easily or increase the value of your case by establishing an injury that the insurance company has denied. This makes it even more important to have lawyers on each case that can talk to each other, counsel together, and share information about your injury quickly.

If you’d like to talk more about how our office is set up or how we can help you navigate multiple cases at once, give us a free call. Most Workers’ Compensation attorneys (myself included) will evaluate your case for free or talk with you to make sure we are a fit. If you have been hurt and want someone to fight for you, call me at 303-792-5595 or submit a request using the button on the right side of the page to have someone from our office contact you.

Free case evaluation form