Joe Smith is a Colorado licensed architect and attorney with over twenty years of architecture, construction law and construction defect litigation experience. Before joining Burg Simpson, Mr. Smith spent three years as a senior forensic architect at a Denver metropolitan area consulting and engineering firm where he provided forensic services to private and public clients, including:
- Architectural, structural, civil, and property damage claims
- Building code compliance and upgrade analysis
- Repair and rehabilitation design
- Construction monitoring and quality assurance
- Existing property condition assessments
- Design and construction claim litigation support
- Expert witness services
Prior to that, Mr. Smith spent nearly twelve years as a construction defect attorney representing Colorado homeowners and commercial building owners.
- Compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations
- Land purchase and other due diligence
- Building code and industry standards compliance
- Project documentation
- Contract formation and interpretation
- Value engineering
- Construction means, methods, and sequencing
- Quality control
- Post-construction warranty and repair work
Mr. Smith has extensive experience working with and analyzing the work of:
- Civil, structural, and geotechnical engineers
- Real estate appraisers & salespersons
- Property managers
AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell 2015 & 2016
University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1999 J.D.
University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana, 1993 B.A.
American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Florida Bar Association
October, 2013 – PLRB 2013 Regional Adjusters Conference & Exposition (Eastern), Concord, North Carolina. Emerging Trends in Building Products, Codes, and Sustainability.
June, 2013 – PLRB 2013 Regional Adjusters Conference & Exposition (Western), Garden Grove, California. Emerging Trends in Building Products, Codes, and Sustainability.
May, 2013 – Colorado Defense Lawyers Association Construction Law Committee “How To” series, Denver, Colorado. Everything You Wanted to Know About Roofs and Were Afraid to Ask (And May Not Want to Know).