More than 17,000 Americans suffer a spinal cord injury every year, according to the National SCI Statistical Center. That is in addition to the 285,000 Americans who already lived with a spinal cord injury. The Mayo Clinic defines a spinal cord injury as any “damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal canal.” If you have suffered a spinal cord injury as a result of an accident, get help from a Phoenix personal injury attorney as quickly as possible.
While there is currently no cure for serious spinal cord injuries, the latest treatment research shows promise. Treatments can include drugs to manage symptoms and surgery on the spine itself to try reversing the damage.
The most common causes of spinal cord injuries include, according to the Mayo Clinic:
- Motor vehicle accidents – 38.4 percent
- Falls – 30.5 percent
- Acts of violence – 13.5 percent
- Sports (particularly diving) – 8.9 percent
- Medical/surgical – 4.7 percent
- Other – 2 percent
If you have been in an accident get in touch with an experienced Phoenix accident lawyer. Call Burg Simpson’s Arizona office at 602-777-7000 or complete our Free Case Evaluation form now.
Spinal cord injuries that result in paralysis are classified as:
- Tetraplegia – Or quadriplegia, which means the arms, hands, trunk, legs and pelvic organs are all affected by your spinal cord injury.
- Paraplegia – The paralysis affects all or part of the trunk, legs, and pelvic organs.
Spinal cord injuries can come with a number of symptoms, such as:
- Loss of movement
- Loss of sensation
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Exaggerated reflex activities or spasms
- Changes in sexual function, sexual sensitivity, and fertility
- Difficulty breathing, coughing or clearing secretions from your lungs
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms and are concerned you might have suffered a spinal cord injury, call our Phoenix office immediately at 602-777-7000 to talk to a Arizona personal injury lawyer.
Few injuries are as costly over the course of a lifetime, despite the significantly reduced life expectancy, that typically comes with a spinal cord injury. And the average annual costs can vary based on a number of factors:
- High tetraplegia can cost more than $1 million the first year after the injury and average $187,443 a year after that.
- Low tetraplegia, on average, cost $779,969 the first year, and average $114,988 every year.
- Paraplegia typically costs $526,066 the first year, and average $69,688 annually.
If you have been paralyzed as a result of a spinal cord injury, call 602-777-7000 today speak with an Arizona injury attorney.
Call our Burg Simpson Arizona Lawyers
Burg Simpson Arizona has represented spinal cord injury victims across the country for more than 40 years. Our Arizona injury attorneys are experienced with spinal cord injury lawsuits and well-equipped to handle time-consuming personal injury cases. Contact an injury lawyer by calling 602-777-7000 or by filling out a Free Case Evaluation Form today.