More than 4,000 patients suffer surgical mistakes every year in the United States. These devastating errors, also known as never events – as in they should never happen – cost doctors and hospitals more than $1.3 billion over the last 20 years. While most of these injuries are temporary, many patients are not so lucky. In fact, nearly a third of surgical error victims suffer a lifelong injury while more than 6 percent of them do not survive.
The most common surgical errors include:
- Foreign object left behind
- Wrong procedure
- Wrong site
- Wrong patient
- Unnecessary surgery
- Lack of informed consent
- Anesthesia errors
- Improper patient surveillance
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured as a result of a surgical error, contact the medical negligence lawyers at Burg Simpson Arizona by filling out a Free Case Evaluation form here or by calling our Phoenix office today at 602-777-7000. We offer a free, no-obligation evaluation of your situation so we can determine your best options moving forward.
Most surgical mistakes include:
- Foreign object left behind: This is by far the most common surgical mistake that occurs in operating rooms today. Surgeons frequently leave behind a sponge, towel, or even a medical instrument inside a patient nearly 40 times a week in this country.
- Wrong procedure: As difficult as it might seem, surgeons perform the wrong procedure on an unsuspecting patient about 20 times a week.
- Wrong site: Doctors also sometimes operate on the wrong part of the body, as often as 20 times a week.
Each of these massive mistakes requires massive fixes. If something’s been left behind, another surgery is required to remove it. If the wrong surgery has been performed or performed in the wrong place, the right procedure is still required.
If you or a loved one has been hurt by a surgical error, call a medical injury lawyer at Burg Simpson in Arizona at 602-777-7000.
There are a number of complications that arise from surgical mistakes, such as:
- Spinal cord injury or nerve damage.
- Permanent tissue and/or organ damage.
- Post-traumatic stress, or emotional trauma.
- A second operation.
- Infection, whether it is from repeated procedures or unsanitary conditions.
If you are suffering from any of these complications – or worse – do not wait to get in touch with a Phoenix malpractice lawyer at 602-777-7000 today. In Arizona, victims of these horrible accidents only have two years to file a medical malpractice claim. Time is of the essence so don’t wait!
Our Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Arizona Can Help
Nearly two-thirds of medical professionals responsible for a surgical mistake has been involved in a previous incident. Surgical errors are preventable and hospitals continue to tighten their standards. Mistakes still happen though. If you or a loved one has been hurt by a mistake during surgery, talk to the Arizona medical malpractice attorneys at Burg Simpson. Fill out our Free Case Evaluation Form right now or call our Phoenix office at 602-777-7000.