Simply put, anesthetics are drugs used to manage pain during a surgical procedure. Anesthetics fall into one of two classifications:
- General: This induces unconscious in the patient and is typically administered through a gas or an IV.
- Local: This numbs a certain area of the body, leaving the patient conscious.
Given how many surgical procedures take place every year, errors in the administration of anesthesia remain relatively rare. But mistakes still happen. In fact, one study suggests that anesthesia errors are the direct cause in 34 deaths every year and a contributing factor in as many as 281 deaths annually. Even if an anesthesia error does not result in a fatality, the injuries they cause can be life-changing. When an anesthesiologist – or any medical professional – fails to exercise an acceptable level of care, there might be grounds for a medical malpractice claim.
If you or a loved one has been injured during a surgical procedure because of an anesthesiologist’s negligence, contact the medical malpractice lawyers at Burg Simpson in Arizona by completing a Free Case Evaluation form or calling 602-777-7000 now.
Establishing responsibility in a medical malpractice case can be tough. The most frequent behaviors that lead to anesthesia errors consist of:
- Improperly establishing or preserving the patient’s airway. This can lead to brain damage.
- Improperly dosing the patient, which can cause a heart attack, a stroke, and even brain damage.
- Improperly tracking a patient’s vitals before, during, and after surgery.
- Not recognizing potential complications and anticipating adverse drug reactions.
- Mismanaging the administration of oxygen during the procedure, which can also cause brain damage.
- Not evaluating the patient properly for their tolerance to anesthesia.
- Allowing sedation to continue too long.
If an anesthesiologist’s negligence has injured you or someone you love, you need to speak with one of our malpractice lawyers in Arizona at Burg Simpson today by calling 602-777-7000.
Typical complications include:
- Post-op pain
- Dental damage
- Sore throat
- Allergic reaction
- Trouble breathing
- Blood clots
Frequent injuries include:
- Brain injury
- Heart attack
- Birth defect
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Ventilator dependence
- Airway trauma/damage
- Joint injury
If you have suffered any of these injuries during a surgical procedure, call Burg Simpson Arizona as soon as possible at 602-777-7000.
Burg Simpson Arizona Can Offer Legal Assistance
If you have been injured by a medical professional’s negligence, get in touch with the Burg Simpson malpractice attorneys in Phoenix by calling 602-777-7000 now or complete a Free Case Evaluation form here.